Follower churn wouldn't exist, but getting hundreds of spam emails
(about being followed) would still exist.
I've got over 12,000 emails in my inbox about being followed on
Twitter. Dozens of those are from the same users. Some weeks the same
users unfollow and refollow me nonstop to try to get me to fall for
it. I don't. I've got only ~2000 followers because most of them were
just spammers churning through trying to follow me. Its annoying. Yes,
many users fall for it. Many big users auto-follow back because they
want the numbers (don't tell me everyone that Scoble followed back
initially was a real user).

I personally don't think you should be able to follow more than 25
people per day, but that's just me.

-david