Others use your following and follower list as a way to bridge new connections to interesting people.

If I am interested in Person X, I can look at who is following him, and know that others are probably of like minds. I can dig into their list of followers and following, and build deeper relationships that are only separated by small degrees.

If I go to someone's account and they have 500 followers, 90% of them are adult porn and social media experts, not only do I get the wrong impression as to what that person is about, but I also have a completely off kilter signal to noise ratio.