Bob,

Perhaps I'm being daft, but how can someone following you be "spam" or
"wrong", regardless of whether it is manual or auto follow?

If you don't follow them, you don't see their tweets, and they cannot
DM you.

In other words, what does it matter if 50,000 undesirable accounts
follow you, except for perhaps a minor personal irritation? Do you
want to be selective about who is allowed and who is not allowed to
follow you?

Dewald