I guess I would also add and remind people that when a new user creates an
account, the first thing Twitter does is produce a list of a bunch of people
this person may or may not know and ask them if they want to follow them.
Following people you don't know is part of the DNA of Twitter and part of
what makes it quite different than other social networks.  If you only want
to follow people you know or get followed by people you know then that
person should move to Facebook.  Also, think about this for businesses who
want to get known on Twitter.  They have to follow people who they think
have an interest in them.  There's no other way to get new customers and
leads.  That's the level playing field that Twitter provides a business and
why businesses are interested in Twitter.  All this stuff about following
being equated to spamming is nonsense.

Randy