Yes! Transparency!  That is what we are really craving. That is the subtext
for every developer responding to this thread. What we all want is
transparency about being shut down. Why does Twitter "revoke literally
hundreds of API tokens / apps a week" as Ryan said? Is it for something
obvious, like pumping out thousand of spam tweets or abusive follows, or is
it for something innocent, like not putting the right text on a tweet
button? I have never seen a description of an app that was blocked, except
for a few loons like Edward H. What if you told us about apps that get
blocked as examples, and explain what they did wrong? You don't even have to
identify them by name. Just explain exactly what type of transgressions are
causing rejection. That could calm people down.

Who doesn't meet the "high bar" and why? I know "high bar" has a lot of
meaning to you Twitter guys, since you all use the same term (a real example
of groupthink, BTW), but it means nothing to us. Tell us where this high bar
is exactly, by showing examples of not reaching it. Then we can learn and
improve, rather than guessing at what you mean.

Nobody here would bitch and moan if they didn't really want to learn
something. Please, help us by giving us examples.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Matt Harris <mhar...@twitter.com> wrote:

> Innovation and development with the APIs are not being prevented. There
> have always been guidelines, and rules of the road so we all know what is
> and isn't allowed.
>
> If you build a client you are touching the majority of Twitter features.
> The APIs allow you to do this, and Twitter and your users trust you to use
> them in the way the terms or service allow. The high bar covers your use of
> these methods, and how you present information back to the user. The ToS
> covers this but there are always situations where the application of them
> isn't clear. — Let's have those discussions with your use cases applied for
> the benefit of everyone.
>
> The direction, and motivation here is transparency. You asked us what it
> looks like from the inside out. It can be uncomfortable, sure, but I believe
> it's better we all know how it looks on both sides.
>
> Without us saying how we see it, how can we have these discussions?
>
> @themattharris
>

> On Mar 13, 2011, at 20:21, Lil Peck <lilp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM, @siculars <sicul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> @raffi @rsarver, I wrote up my two cents earlier,
> >> http://siculars.posterous.com/twitter-monoculture. I just don't
> >> appreciate the direction you all are going in. @raffi, I spoke with
> >> you at the CU recruiting event a few weeks back and I got to tell you
> >> that if I were asked I would tell those kids to reconsider working at
> >> twitter and possibly consider a Twitter competitor. you say "building
> >> clients is ... Thinking too small" I would say your policy change is
> >> thinking small and alienating your ardent supporters.
> >>

> > To which I would add, what is Twitter to arbitrate that which is and
> > is not "too small?" Has Twitter subscribed to the fallacious "bigger
> > is always better" philosophy?
> >
> > How small is too small?
> >
> > Less than $25 million in startup funds?
> >
> > OR
> >
> > One creative, fun loving person and their sweat equity?
> >
> > --
> > Twitter developer documentation and resources:
> http://dev.twitter.com/doc
> > API updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/twitterapi
> > Issues/Enhancements Tracker:

> Issues/Enhancements Tracker: