Thanks Augusto.

But the same thread indicates that tools like Streaming API will
replace whitelisting. So it does not make sense for me for Streaming
API to put under the same umbrella as whitelisting.

"Since then, we've added new, more efficient tools for developers,
including lookups, ID lists, authentication and the Streaming API.
Instead of whitelisting, developers can use these tools to create
applications and integrate with the Twitter platform."