Hi Hank,

We believe it to be entirely possible to build a web-based Twitter client
using only the REST API without whitelisting. Where are you thinking that
you would require it? Site Streams makes it easier in some ways, though the
implementation can be more complicated and intensive.

By requiring that your end-users authenticate a Twitter account, you can
execute ~350 authenticated GET requests per hour on behalf of that user from
your server's IP address. There are 24 hours in a day. That's 8,400
authenticated GET requests you can make on their behalf per day, in which
you're fetching timelines for them, user profile metadata, and so on.

If there are specific actions you can't perform for a certain user within
350 requests in a given hour, you queue the rest of the activity and ask the
user to wait until you can process the data for them.

Interested to know where a whitelisting requirement fits in with your use
case.

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary - Twitter Developer
Advocate