Bill,

I think we all know that it is unlikely for this facility/these facilities to simply
"appear" within U2 - certainly within the core product, because it would "break" to
many existing applications, and require to people to make changes to (or even CREATE!)
dictionaries, code etc.

I agree that it would be a "good thing", but I think the reality is that it is not
going to happen ..... and if it DOES happen, for backwards compatibility they will
have to keep things the way they are, and that will let people by-pass your rules & do
"nasty things".

There were some other points by other posters about having to "do things" to create
triggers etc .... you CAN overcome this by simply not using the "standard"
create-file, but instead use your own.

Then, when a file is created, you can also hook in some standard triggers - it IS
possible to write a single trigger routine that can be used to enforce referential
integrity .... BUT, you need to have some extensions made to the standard U2
dictionaries to be able to flag things like "this is a mandatory field", or "this is
the @ID on another file, and it MUST validate against that file"

HOWEVER, your code that 'writes' (or reads) from a file then also needs to be updated
so that it reacts 'appropriately' to the error conditions raised/reported

As others have pointed out, with constraints, rules etc as an integral component of
the overall environment, the amount of "real code" that has to be written can be
drastically reduced, which translates (what pun?) into increased productivity, more
robust applications, and a single source for integrity rules (the dictionary to the
file rather than the myriad programs that update it)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage  an Evolution in Software Development

---