This is exactly the reason we created a outline in our Eclipse editor.
 When you click on the variable like "A" you would see:
-- Line 33
-- Line 34
-- Line 53
-- Line 571
-- Line 820

Regards,
Doug
www.u2logic.com

Then you can click on each line to see what those lines are doing with that
variable.  So when we are looking at a program written by a long since gone
company, we can see if the variable is just referenced or updated.