I wondered about that too and googled around. Simple answer: Services can have
access to a desktop, but it isn't the same as any user's desktop. Apparently
there are some things that a process can do that require a desktop that nobody
needs to see. SQL server uses this for task synchronization. So that's why that
flag is still there.