Just one comment inline
-----Original Message-----
From: upstart-devel-boun...@lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:upstart-devel-boun...@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Scott James
Remnant
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:09 AM
To: Casey Dahlin
Cc: Upstart Dev List; Kevin Hunter
Subject: Re: Upstart 1.0 development branch

The only code I've refused to show, which is I'm sure what you're
referring to, is the code to track forks and execs.

There's a simple reason for this.

I want this to be one of Upstart's "special sauce" features.  The
ability to flawlessly supervise daemons, so you don't need to keep them
in the foreground has been seriously lacking from any other replacement
init daemon.

This will _just_work_ in Upstart:

  exec /sbin/syslogd

If I release that code now, everyone else will know how I did it and
then we'll see the same feature turn up in things like init-ng and
einit.  Frankly, it took me a long time to figure it out, and I want to
be first to have it.

[Sarvi] I tend to believe people will always follow good design and good
momentum.
Upstart needs some good following and some big names that are using it
to create that momentum.

I think it is a great design and direction for linux to follow which is
why we have started using it within Cisco, inspite of some skeptics that
I still have defend fiercely to fend off. Increasingly due to the lack
of features such as groups and states, I am under more pressure to
address this and questions as to why we picked. So I intend to work on
these features beginning end of this month.

I think not loosing this momentum, following and community that seems to
be developing around upstart is more important to Upstart than gaurding
a piece of code that is going to go open source anyway in an extra month
fearing some one would grab it.

Anway, if I don't see your nextgen code in the next few weeks I don't
have much choice but to work on adding these features anyway maintaining
the API that I heard you propose in your presentation and use it to meet
our immediate needs. Though this is wasted time and effort that would be
better spent on more usefull features/extensions to upstart.

Anyway, I don't intend to permantently branch off and will transition to
your stuff whenever yours becomes available. And I can only hope it will
be API compatible.

You have been doing some really cool stuff with Upstart. And all the
credit for Upstart is unquestionably yours.  I just wish you had the
interest to use the Dev and Test resources that are eager to work on
this a little more effectively.

Sarvi

Scott
--