On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Casey Dahlin <cdah...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Scott James Remnant wrote:
>>
>> In any Open Source project, it's quite normal for a developer to go off
>> and do their own thing for a while before submitting or landing the
>> code.  This is especially and triply true if they're doing some
>> fundamental changes and don't actually know whether they'll work.
>>

> Its normal for a developer not to push things into mainline every night. To
> drown their work in secrecy is quite out of the ordinary. I've seen
> developers surface with code they hadn't mentioned before, but I've /never/
> heard of an open source developer refusing to show code they were explicitly
> asked for.

Scott, FWIW I firmly believe that while this may happen every once in
a while, the folks that will do this will be a small set of people as
most folks don't test alpha code (especially if it's marked `alpha
code' :}..), and you may discover that other folks' ideas may
positively germinate with your inspiration to generate an excellent
solution to a problem (either now or in the future) or truly awesome
piece of software, or save you the time from having to go down deep
into rabbit holes developing your code.

>> I don't agree that having more developers work on a single piece of code
>> somehow magically improves productively.  I'm following things down a
>> particular rabbit hole that interests me.  If I have to stop and try and
>> explain the changes I'm trying to make to others, so they can do it for
>> me, and then review their work afterwards then things are going to take
>> much longer.
>>

> Last time I mentioned I was working on implementing what had been discussed
> you said you didn't want it, so I abandoned it (this was an attempt at
> implementing things as you had envisioned them, not the state machine). This
> isn't you in the corner with your code. You've taken the project and run out
> of the room with it. If that wasn't your intention, then you need to figure
> out why your actions have had this effect and make some attempt to organize
> the community such that it doesn't grind to a standstill every time you feel
> like popping off for tea with the mad hatter.

That may be true, but again this is alpha code and as long as it's
advertised like that, you shouldn't run into a lot of issues...

>> This sudden need for urgency and rush confuses me.  Upstart has been
>> stable for two years now, in that time anyone could have done the work
>> I'm doing now.
>
> And everyone was waiting for you to agree on what work you would accept
> changes on. And when you did you took the code aside and said "I'll do it
> myself."

Regards,
-Garrett