On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 15:21 -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:

> > In any Open Source project, it's quite normal for a developer to go off
> > and do their own thing for a while before submitting or landing the
> > code.  This is especially and triply true if they're doing some
> > fundamental changes and don't actually know whether they'll work.
> >

> Its normal for a developer not to push things into mainline every
> night. To drown their work in secrecy is quite out of the ordinary.
> I've seen developers surface with code they hadn't mentioned before,
> but I've /never/ heard of an open source developer refusing to show
> code they were explicitly asked for.

The only code I've refused to show, which is I'm sure what you're
referring to, is the code to track forks and execs.

There's a simple reason for this.

I want this to be one of Upstart's "special sauce" features.  The
ability to flawlessly supervise daemons, so you don't need to keep them
in the foreground has been seriously lacking from any other replacement
init daemon.

This will _just_work_ in Upstart:

  exec /sbin/syslogd

If I release that code now, everyone else will know how I did it and
then we'll see the same feature turn up in things like init-ng and
einit.  Frankly, it took me a long time to figure it out, and I want to
be first to have it.

> > I don't agree that having more developers work on a single piece of code
> > somehow magically improves productively.  I'm following things down a
> > particular rabbit hole that interests me.  If I have to stop and try and
> > explain the changes I'm trying to make to others, so they can do it for
> > me, and then review their work afterwards then things are going to take
> > much longer.
> >

> Last time I mentioned I was working on implementing what had been
> discussed you said you didn't want it, so I abandoned it (this was an
> attempt at implementing things as you had envisioned them, not the
> state machine).

This never happened.

You were working on your own state machine, which was crap.

Worse, you were going around blogging about it as "THE new Upstart State
Machine".

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?