Howdy,

just to not let this discussion die off. Let me show a take on a "how
modern Maven plugin should look like" (that targets m-dependency-p goals,
sans analyze and some others) could look like:
https://github.com/maveniverse/toolbox

The "unpack" related goals are missing, not yet done, but there are already
33 Mojos in there. Most Mojos that are "gav-" prefixed are totally same as
CLI commands, and they do NOT require Project, are meant to be "ad hoc"
invoked.
The non-"gav-"-prefixed mojos use MavenProject instead to "contextualize"
themselves (so they work with the Project, and the "plugin-" prefixed ones
with Project defined plugins).

Note1: not yet released (is not on Central), if you want to test drive it,
build it locally).
Note2: the "toolbox" is Maven Plugin and a CLI at the same time (the CLI
uber is toolbox-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-cli.jar)
Note3: some of the missing goals mentioned on this thread are implemented

Thanks