Thank you Brian,

I am now using Nexus Repository Manager, and it does save me from a lot of
hassle.  It was easier than I thought.  I just resisted at first, because
switching from Ant to Maven was more work than I thought it would be, so I
didn't want to get deeper into trouble with repository managers.

Is there a way to convert a local repository into a remote repository, or
should I upload each artifact to Nexus again? (I have a few dozen).

For now, I've copied my 3rd party section from my local repository directly
to the Nexus 3rd-party repo, and it seems to work.  I removed the metadata
files, since they are local repo metadata.  Of course, I'm now adding new
3rd party jars through Nexus.

I've found this related issue, but it doesn't explain the solution:

https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-996

-Alex