On 10/3/2016 11:22 AM, Girvin R. Herr wrote:

On 10/02/2016 11:04 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
In the definition for the Page Style in use, click on the Footer tab and put a checkmark against Footer On. Then click in the box that appears at page bottom, enter a tab, then /insert /Field /Page number. That presupposes you need the page number centred, hence the tab.
Thanks, it worked correctly.

The next problem is when the document is inserted into the master,
page numbering is lost. How are page numbers enabled in master
documents?

jrh
Other than care in selecting to use the same template for all components of a master document I can make no suggestion. I have never needed to use the master documents structure for any of the documents I have edited/written, irrespective of their size (sometimes several thousand pages) and have only dabbled inconclusively with master documents.

Rory

+1
Several times in the past, I have looked at using a master document for a large document of mine. However, in each case there was some difficulty I found with using a master document, that made me think it was just too much trouble. In all of those cases, using a "flat" document was the best choice for me.
Girvin Herr

The immediate problem is solved. The template for the master document didn't have a footer with the page number. Adding them to the template, it used, turned numbering on in all the files, saving a lot of time. Knowing how something works is much more important to me, than long winded instruction on how to use the program, especially when they don't match what I'm trying to do.

Just because styles are powerful, doesn't mean they have to be hard to use.
A list of style attributes, and a diagram of how they propagate would be most useful. Does such a document exist?

jrh