On 10/04/2016 04:17 PM, John Hart wrote:
On 10/4/2016 12:12 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
Just because styles are powerful, doesn't mean they have to be hard to use. >A list of style attributes, and a diagram of how they propagate would bemost useful. Does such a document exist?

>jrh

  See the file referenced in this posting for an overview of using Style
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275320#p275320

This document may also be informative:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students
This latter document is "Writer for Students" (several languages)--
Unfortunately they don't provide the information I need.

The numbering system works until I insert pages in front of the body for the title, etc. Then every other page gets numbered, and if the number is odd, page numbering for
the whole document is turned off.

Is this a BUG in OO 3.3 that was fixed in later versions?
If so, is there a workaround?
If it's not a BUG,  what needs to be added to make it work..
The manual discusses Roman Numeral numbering of the preface,
and uses page break insertion options the version I'm using doesn't have.

jrh

John,
Styles are your friend.
I have many documents that use Roman page numbers for the stuff in the beginning pages (prefix) and Arabic page numbers for the body pages. Also, my first page has no numbering, since it is a cover page. The trick is to first set up the page styles. Once the page styles are created, then these styles are displayed in the Manual page break "Style" list. For example, my first page is the "First Page" style (duh). The roman numeral page styles are "Left Prefix" and "Right Prefix". Each style's "Next Style" is set to the other style (Left or Right), so it alternates as the document is written. The same with the "Left Page" and "Right Page" page styles, which are set to use Arabic numbers. This number format is set under the Page Style "Page" tab under "Layout settings" "Format". Also, I set these pages to restart page numbering so the body pages restart at 1, not continue from the last roman numbered page. I do this so I can print them separately and save trees. This restart can be done at the manual page break insertion by selecting the "Change page number" checkbox and entering the new start number in the box below. Once the page styles are created, the alternating page styles can be set in the page organizer from the "Next Style" list. My "First Page" style lists "Left Prefix" as it's next style, so that switch is done automatically. However, to go from either Prefix style to, say, "Right Page", one has to insert a page break specifying the "Right Page" style from the page break. This is not done automatically and it is unrealistic to expect AOO to guess it.

Note that when, say, a left page style is created before the right style exists, the not-yet-existing right page style will not appear in the "Next Style" list. I just select a placeholder (or leave the default) to continue the style creation and after the correct Next Style exists, I go back and change it.

Note also that the Left Page, Right Page and First Page styles are the stock template styles, just slightly modified. The only new ("Custom") styles I created are the two "Prefix" styles.

Note also that I do not apply the "Default" page style. All of my applied styles are based on "Default", but none are Default. I reserve Default, since it is the root of all styles. Changing it, changes all styles that are based on it.

Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr