On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:48:40 -0400
Stephen Nichols <step...@nichols-family.us> wrote:

> I used WordPerfect for 15 years because of two reasons, besides that it’s a
> great product.
> 1)  I hate Microsoft.
> 2)  I absolutely LOVE the “reveal codes” function of WP.  It is the most
> powerful tool in word processing, eliminating all sorts of bad formatting
> issues.
>
> I can’t easily use WP anymore since all of our computers have gone to Macs
> and Corel won’t come back with their Mac version.  I find OpenOffice a very
> suitable replacement.  But … Why can’t/won't OpenOffice add a similar feature?
>
> Stephen Nichols
> Aldie, Virginia

Because the formatting codes are not simple one/two byte codes -they are XML
strings.  You need to learn how to use D
Styles and may find it helpful to turn on /View /Non printing characters.

If you wish to see the XML formatting codes, unzip an OpenOffice file (which is
a zipped archive) and examine content.xml with a plain text or an XML editor
Be advised, bad editing of this file can damage the OO file, perhaps
irreparably.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>