Jamez,

On 9/1/2009 1:10 PM, jamez smith wrote:
>>     Sorry  I didn't make this clear. The DOS Window where I type
>> "startup.bat" is not closed and showed below, but the DOS Window it opened
>> is closed itself.
>> C:\Tomcat 4.1\bin>startup.bat
>> Using CATALINA_BASE:   ..
>> Using CATALINA_HOME:   ..
>> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: ..\temp
>> Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\j2sdk1.4.2_15

You mean the command completed, not that the DOS window closed, right?
When you run "catalina.bat run", all the stdout output should go into
the CMD.EXE window where you ran it.

>> After I run both "startup.bat" or "catalina run", the procurement_log.txt
>> showed the exception: (in the server.xml, myApp = procurement, I used myApp
>> to represent the real project name, hope it won't confuse you.)
>
>> 2009-09-02 00:25:51 StandardContext[/procurement]: Starting
>> 2009-09-02 00:25:51 StandardContext[/procurement]: Processing start(),
>> current available=false
>> 2009-09-02 00:25:51 StandardContext[/procurement]: Configuring default
>> Resources
>> 2009-09-02 00:25:51 StandardContext[/procurement]: Resources start failed:
>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base ..\webapps\procurement
>> does not exist or is not a readable directory

This sounds like a good place to start. What is your "appBase" for your
<Host> in server.xml? Please re-post the <Context> definition that does
work, and the one that does not work (no need to re-post the <Resource>
within the <Context>).

>> I am rechecking and rechecking [the JNDI configuration]. I found
>> in common/lib directory there are one db2java.jar and one COM
>> folder, basically it is the unzipped version of that db2java.jar.
>> Not sure why the COM folder is there. But I try to remove the COM
>> folder, the error is still there.

The COM folder will be igonred; only .jar files will be used from within
that directory.

Forget about the database driver: I think that was a distraction from
the real error (shown above).

>> Yes, IBM driver really starts with COM all in caps.

Ok.

>> I just so confused why I set
>> docBase as local, Tomcat is working?

Can you explain further what you mean when you say "set docBase as
local" versus whatever else you set it to? Again, post the working AND
non-working configurations.

>>> Finally, I wonder if upgrading to a newer level of Tomcat is an option.
>>
>> This application has to run on JDK 1.4.

Ugh. Why?

>> My colleague told me we have to use
>> Tomcat 4, as Tomcat 5 requires JDK 1.5. Is that true?

As Chuck says, Tomcat 5.5 can run on JDK 1.4 if you install the
compatibility package (which is easy).

>> I am more than happy
>> to switch to higher version of Tomcat.  Basically I only use Tomcat on local
>> for development, and we are using Websphere application server in
>> production.

That raises a few other questions:

1. If this is a legacy application, how much "development" is really
occurring?

2. Why not run the same environment in both dev and prod?

3. Why can't you run under JDK 1.5 or 1.6? Why not Tomcat 6.0?