To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 2:48 PM
Subject: RE: [OT] Re: jvm exits without trace

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 12:17 PM
To: Tomcat Users List

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Carl <c...@etrak-plus.com> wrote:
> My approach is to get something (a JVM) that works and then gradually
change
> until it breaks. Then, I know what is causing the problem. To date,
> haven't been able to get a JVM that works.

I have had a lot of issues finding stable JVMs since I moved our
software from 1.5 to 1.6... 1.6 has been a mess for ages under our
workload on CentOS.  Code that ran fine under 1.5 would segfault in
all sorts of random places on 1.6.  I even tried the 1.7 openJDK early
builds... they were even worse.

I was pleased to see that the most recent release
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u18.html contains _tons_ of bug
fixes, including lots of crash fixes.  Seriously... the last few
releases have contained only a handful of fixes... this release has
hundreds.

I'm running 1.6.0_18 under OpenSuSE 11.0-11.2 and I've only had one problem.
It looks like a GLIBC error related to IPV6. I disabled IPV6 on the machine
and it's been rock solid since.

I don't use native connectors, or AJP. I do about 900,000 hits with 4GB/Day
spread across 3 servers and it's just rock steady. I run the tomcat
instances for 2-3 weeks each before re-starting. For each machine, that's
about 6 million hits with about 40 GB of transfer.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585
www.mhsoftware.com