On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 13:47, Eduardo M. Bragatto wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I've been using vpopmail with cdb authentication system on many servers
> about 2 years and I don't have any complains about it.
>       Looking the README.mysql from vpopmail 5.4.0 it says:
>
>       "Using vpopmail with MySQL is becoming increasingly popular.
>       The code is well tested and can be considered to be just
>       as stable as the default CDB authentication system."
>
>       Is there any special reason to use MySQL instead of CDB?
Most of us who use it do so because we need more than one box to access
the user database and don't want to use nfs to access a cdb file, or do
any special synchronization for the file.
> I'm not an
> expert on database systems, but CDB just seems more stable and faster to
> me (I'm not saying it is, it's just my impression about it and as I
> said: I'm NOT an expert).
>       I'm asking it because since vp+mysql is becoming so popular, should be
> a good reason for that. So, I'd like to hear from you the advantages and
> cons about it compared with CDB.
The big advantages are that you can build a dedicated box, or boxes, to
host the vpopmail database, and anything that can access MySQL, which is
virtually everything these days, can get in and access/manipulate that
data.

>               Regrads,
>               Eduardo M. Bragatto.
Hope that helps,