On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 12:55, Jeremy Kitchen wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 13:47, Eduardo M. Bragatto wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     I've been using vpopmail with cdb authentication system on many servers
> > about 2 years and I don't have any complains about it.
> >     Looking the README.mysql from vpopmail 5.4.0 it says:
> >
> >     "Using vpopmail with MySQL is becoming increasingly popular.
> >     The code is well tested and can be considered to be just
> >     as stable as the default CDB authentication system."
>
> except for the segfaults adding domains and users when using mysql
> replication along with it :)
Which segfaults would those be? I use mysql replication and add users
all the time without any issues. I did this running both vpopmail 5.2.1
and 5.4.0-rc2. I've not yet added a domain under 5.4.0-rc2 but it worked
fine under 5.2.1, the only issue being that I manually had to add it to
the appropriate qmail files on each cluster server, though this is
automatable if I wished to do so.

> >     Is there any special reason to use MySQL instead of CDB? I'm not an
> > expert on database systems, but CDB just seems more stable and faster to
> > me (I'm not saying it is, it's just my impression about it and as I
> > said: I'm NOT an expert).
>
> well, cdb becomes very cumbersome with large numbers of users.  the
> passwd.cdb file is very slow to rebuild (adding a new user, changing
> password, etc) and while it's being rebuilt, it's locked, so it can
> cause a whole lot of problems given the right conditions.
>
> mysql is EXCELLENT for large sites.  small sites (less than 100 users)
> you'll probably see a performance HIT going to mysql, but less than 100
> users, you probably won't even notice it ;)
>
> >     I'm asking it because since vp+mysql is becoming so popular, should be
> > a good reason for that. So, I'd like to hear from you the advantages and
> > cons about it compared with CDB.
>
> unless you have at least 500 users, I'd stick with cdb.  mysql adds
> bloat to the binaries, and can make things slightly slower.
Is there a reason that the mysql libs are statically rather than
dynamically linked? The bulk of the bloat comes from compiling in all of
that functionality.

> -Jeremy
Cheers,
Nick