Hello,

I might guess that your /etc/tcp.smtp is not getting compiled into /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb.
Usually this is done with '/usr/sbin/qmailctl cdb'.
I am not familiar with roaming users but I believe that this tcp control system is used.

See http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/tcpserver.html

This is of course assuming you are using ucspi-tcp and probably daemontools.

and whatever 'toaster' includes '/usr/sbin/qmailctl'

Sorry, I hadn't considered how unique this script is on my toaster.
It originally came from Dave Sill's Life With Qmail.

<snip qmailctl script>
   tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp
   chmod 644 /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
   echo "Reloaded /etc/tcp.smtp."
<snip>

remember, any 'qmailctl' file is NOT part of the standard qmail
distribution, and may be COMPLETELY different from 'toaster' to
'toaster'.

Of course. I did assume though that considering he is using vpopmail that he followed this relatively standard toaster setup.

Still though, the advice that has been given (at least what I have read
so far) is off track of the problem. The problem is not that he can't
relay, the problem is that he can't CONNECT. vpopmail's roaming-users
support would have no impact on this, unless the default rule for the
tcprules file being used for smtp is to deny the connection.

I reread this and I think you are correct, I missed this. A default deny rule seems like it would explain this behavior.

davila are you lurking?

Alex Martin
http://www.rettc.com