Charles M. Gerungan wrote:
Hello Rick,

Wednesday, June 16, 2004, 10:56:30 AM you wrote:

I really don't see why you would have to recompile qmail, and especially
qmail-smtpd. qmail-smtp uses an external password checker like vchkpw.
qmail-send bounces the message if it can't find a match.

RW> The vpopmail library is statically linked, so every time you recompile
RW> it you have to re-link everything that uses it. Many configuration RW> changes in vpopmail require you to recompile vpopmail... and everything
RW> that uses it.

But why would he have to recompile qmail? qmail's password checker is
external (it should use vchkpw in his case which is not part of qmail).
And okay, I did a grep on qmail's make file, and there's no vpopmail in
there.

What am I missing?

Stock qmail you don't have to recompile. It executes vchkpw to validate users for pop and imap, and vdelivermail in .qmail-default to deliver mail.

The only thing I can think of where qmail-smtpd has anything to do with vpopmail is a patch that allows it to reject messages to invalid addresses before they are queued. That patch calls functions in the vpopmail library, and must be recompiled when vpopmail changes. For installs on a virgin machine you must compile qmail, compile vpopmail, then compile qmail again (at least qmail-smtpd) to apply the patch.