If this thread goes on much longer, we should probably move to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list. I'm sure most here aren't interested in the gory details.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
As far as maintaining the order in .qmail file using valias, I am pretty sure that they are maintained in .qmail files. As far as the SQL is concerned I am not sure (I don't use SQL), do you want me to look into this ?

Sure.

Its been a while since I've looked at this, but maybe it will help...

There will be no problem maintaining the order of lines in a .qmail file. The trick will be making a set of functions that give you the same access for both SQL and files. The existing functions need to stay the same for backwards compatibility. If you want to take control of the sequence of entries you need to use new functions.

<Just my opinion>For the SQL back end we should add a sequence field with a default value of 0. When retrieving the valias lines they should be ORDER BY Sequence, Address. Extra credit if the addresses are sorted like the /var/qmail/congrol files so domains sort together.[1] The functions that allow you to control the order of lines simply set the sequence field. Provide a function to renumber the sequence.

The fun part is making a .qmail/.vpopmail file look like a table. I think it will be easier to efficiently make the file look like a database rather than treating the database like a file.
</opinion>

Rick

[1]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]