Hello Dave,
As Mark mentioned there are some who have spent more time on this than others and I have to say there is not a clear cut answer, as your finding out one has to deal with it on a vendor by vendor basis.

Many vendors including MS are having trouble defining licensing terms within cloud computing solutions. We are usually successfully once we have explained the software is running on university owned machines. I will provide you with the contact info of our NCSU license coordinator off-list and you can contact him directly .

Aaron