On Tuesday June 08, 2010, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
> On 2010.06.08, at 19:29, Josh Thompson wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > On Saturday June 05, 2010, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am trying to setup testing environment on one virtual machine to check
> >> out VCL and more clearly understand how it works, but I find
> >> documentation not that good.
> >>
> >> First of all, Only PHP 5.0 - 5.2 might work, PHP 5.3 have some
> >> deprecated functions removed and VCL website does not work properly.
> >
> > We already have a JIRA issue created to address that the code is not
> > compatible with PHP 5.3.  The next release (which will hopefully be out
> > in July) will work with PHP 5.3.
> >
> >> There was a note that you should never add computer with "maintenance"
> >> state, but VCL website says, that's all VM can only be added in
> >> "maintenance" state.
> >
> > Can you provide the URLs for this page?  We're working to improve our
> > documentation.
>
> There was a note in INSTALLATION file that if you are using VMWare, you
>  should set state to "virtualmachine" and if left state to "available"
>  website brings error (red next near state) that virtual machine can only
>  be added in "maintenance" state. At that time I was using SVN trunk (my
>  fault).
>
> > Adding a computer in the maintenance state is a bug that will also be
> > fixed in the next release.  The workaround is to add it in the available
> > state and then change it to the maintenance state after it has been
> > added.
> >
> >> Next thing there is not such Provisioning Engine as "VMWare Server
> >> Provisioning", only VMWare ESX or VMWare Server GSX. And I would like to
> >> use VMWare Server 1.0.X version.
> >
> > You want to select "VMware Server GSX" to use with VMWare Server 1.0.X.
> > In the past, "VMWare GSX" was the name for "VMWare Server".
>
> After some reading I found that. I think VMWare 2.X is not supported at
>  this time?

Correct - it will be supported in the next release.

> >> When going to "New Reservation" after DB, Website and VCLD is running I
> >> get error in ./ht-inc/requests.php (line 148) and some full array is
> >> printed. (This problem:
> >> http://www.mail-archive.com/vcl-...@incubator.apache.org/msg00647.html)
> >
> > The error in the email you linked to is in computers.php.  So, I'm
> > guessing you're just saying you see something similar.  Where did you get
> > the VCL code (2.1 release, subversion. other)?  Line 148 in requests.php
> > in the 2.1 code is a simple print statement that wouldn't cause an error.
>
> My bad, I was too quick. This error is in trunk version. In printed very
>  similar array from PHP.
>
> There is more, NewSID tool is retired and no more supported. Link:
>  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx in
>  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Management+Node+Installati
> on is no more valid.

Yeah, I just discovered that today as well.  I'm not yet sure how we'll handle
that.

> Is it possible to run the whole system in standalone environment? As I
>  understand you must have two interfaces (eth0, eth1), public and private?
>  Is it possible for testing purpose run everything on single interface or
>  use loop-back interface, sub-interfaces? I was trying to follow the
>  articles, but after getting VCL running and VMWare Server installed there
>  seems to be very little documentation how to make everything work.

I hesitate to mention this because it can be tricky to set up, but you can
follow these instructions:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Configuring+a+Standalone+VMware+VCL+Environment

to set up a standalone environment using vmware.  Please note the disclaimer
at the top of the page stating that it is not for setting up a production
environment.

> >> Maybe someone could via IM help me out to set VCL testing environment?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> David
- --
Josh Thompson