So dear Tony......do you see a future for bamboo tenkara rods?
Won't have to deal anymore with those pesky guides and wrappings :)

On 10/08/2014 1:23 PM, jerryp...@comcast.net wrote:
I've messed around with it.  I first saw my first tenkara rod about 5 or 6 years ago when
a customer walked in to the local fly shop I frequent.  He was a frequent traveler and
well versed in tenkara fishing.  He'd brought a tenkara rod back from Japan which set the
owner back $300.  He showed us how to rig it and demonstrated a bit of
"casting".  I had a chance to exam in the rod and it looked familiar to me.
Reminded of the long cane poles we sometime used for crappie fishing when I was in
college in NW Tennessee.  Went home and rummaged through my Cabela's catalog and came
across telescoping graphite crappie poles, ranged from 10 to 14 feet in length.  I
ordered a 10 footer and when I got it I took it to the shop and we compared it with the
Tenkara rod very little difference even manufactured by the same company except the price
which was $275 less than the shop owner.  I used it a couple of times but it's tough to
use a 10 foot rod.  Still if folks are interested in getting into tenkara fishing, it's
an inexpensive way to get started.

Jerry C