Steve, thanks for your reply. Agreed on the encoding options. The
only thing that I'm not sure of in the H.264 tests was whether it
was Baseline or Main. I may have missed mention of H.264-formatted
videos available in Baseline. In one of the tutorials Verdi
mentions, the presenter says that H.264 is not available for
Windows. That may be true (I'm not sure), but a version of H.264
playback *is* available on the Pocket PC, which is what I've been
testing.

Great work. I view Michael Verdi and yourself as the vocal experts
in this area, and I'm glad of any knowledge I can glean from you
two. Any small amount of information I can add I hope will be of
some benefit to you and all.

Thanks again for your work on this!

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video,
podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Well most of the methods create mpeg4 which are the same type as
most
> videobloggers have been using for ages anyway, so likely identical
> stuff youve already tested in the past.
>
> h264 stuff youve already tried and it doesnt play back at all
> appropriately on a pocketpc at the moment.
>
> Also bear in mind that Michael Verdis guides are optimised for the
> delivery side of things as much as playback quality. They use
settings
> that are way below the spec that the ipod can actually play. Lower
> framerate, much worse sound quality, and lower resolution.
>
> Now I can argue about these things till Im blue in the face, and
its
> pointless. People vary in which factor is most important to them,
its
> a compromise between quality and filesize/storage space/download
time.
> For videoblogging this compromise can be important. Freevlog is for
> videoblogging, and it mostly makes the right compromises, if I
seem to
> criticise it a lot its only because its so influential and
important.

> But if for example you dont care about filesize, and want to take a
> load of movies and encode them in a way that gives the best results
> when you hook your ipod up to the TV, and arent worried about
> distribution, the advise will be different.
>
> Oh Im waffling.
>
> Alo I noticed I totally mangled a sentence in a previous email so
here
> is an unmangled version:
>
> was:
>
> 'This advice wont apply if people are using other pcature devices
that
> may for example record straight toa 23x0240 res.'
>
> should be:
>
> This advise wont apply if people are using other capture devices
that
> may for example record straight to a 320x240 resolution.
>
> Steve of Elbows
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "ecomputerd"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> > Is there any chance to post actual videos compressed with the
listed
> > methods. I want to test compatibility with a Pocket PC so we can
end
> > up with recommended compression method and settings that will be
> > compatible with the iPod AND a Pocket PC. My users and I thank
you ;-
> > ).
> >
> > Greg Smith
> > Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio,
video,
> > podcasts
> > www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Many thanks for the guides/review.
> > >
> > > In regards the movie to ipod export option, believe it or not
the
> > > resolution that its giving you is actually a more accurate
> > > representation of your NTSC DV footage than 320x240 is.
> > >
> > > Its an aspect ratio issue. NTSC is 720x480. To turn 720 into
320,
> > > divide by 2.25. To maintain the aspect ratio, the same
reduction
> > > should also be performed on the vertical resolution. But if
you
> > divive
> > > 480 by 2.25, you get 213.3333 not 240.
> > >
> > > So quicktime is actually just trying to maintain the aspect
ratio.
> > In
> > > other parts of the world that use PAL rather than NTSC, DV res
is
> > > 720x576. So results are different with PAL footage. I just
tried it
> > > and my PAL 720x576 footage gets turned into a 300x240 clip.
Same