in australia it is more or less a 'gentlemen's agreement' (and I'm
pretty sure this is how it gets described) which every now and then
ruffles feathers when one network is perceived to use too much of
someone else's footage or similar. there is no licence, no money, just
a sort of mutual agreement which recognises that they all benefit from
this. For some events here (not sure which ones) networks might even
deliberately share footage so instead of 3 crews to one event one goes
on the understanding material is made available to each.

On 01/02/2008, at 8:40 AM, Steve Watkins wrote:

> Anybody know what rules live TV news stations play by? I remember
> seeing a programme
> about Al Jazeera years ago, and they were watching other stations
> rebroadcasting their live
> pictures (probably of the bombing of Bahgdad), and were trying to
> frustrate this by cutting
> to their anchor. There are plenty of times we see other networks
> graphics on such things,
> some try to cover it with monster sized tickers or bugs, and now I
> always wonder if theyve
> licensed the content or are making use of some 'right' to reshow it,
> or just chancing their
> luck.

cheers
Adrian Miles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
bachelor communication honours coordinator
vogmae.net.au