On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:41 PM, ractalfece <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Brook Hinton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the link, John, I will look forward to seeing it when....
>> if.... it ever finishes reaching my computer.
>>
>> "> But what's wrong with being an avant-guard artist?"
>>
>> What does making something difficult for people who aren't immersed in
>> the tech world to obtain have to do with being an avant-garde artist?
>> Most avant-garde artists spend a lot of effort fighting to get their
>> work seen, not hiding it.
>>

> I don't claim to be an avant-garde artist.  And I don't take the word
> artist lightly.  I was responding to Verdi's line:
>
> "It's a little like the poor avant-guard artist who complains that
> nobody (i.e. the "mainstream") understands his work."
>
> I get what he's saying but that line doesn't have any sting to it.  If
> someone called me a poor avant-guard artist, I'd say thank you.

Okay, let me try it again. I guess it's my personal pet peeve when,
for example, a person makes esoteric work and then complains that most
people don't understand it. I was trying to relate (unsuccessfully)
that idea to John's complaint about his audience. If you don't want to
make mainstream stuff, fine but don't complain when the mainstream
doesn't want to watch. The cool thing is that the things I do that
might draw a couple of dozen people (if that) to a live event here in
San Antonio can have an audience of thousands+ on the internet. I also
think that, given a bit of time, your videos will get the "right"
audience - the one you're making them for. I don't think there is a
need to put up a barrier.

Now if the idea is riff on
old-school-word-of-mouth-punk-rock-zine-diy-distribution and to
promote bittorrent because you like it, then who am I to argue with
that? In that context it's fun.

Verdi