2009/10/23 Bohuš <bo...@xnet.com>:
> At the highest settings, the Zi8 does exhibit some weirdness with
> motion.  Fine for talking heads, not good for action.

I'm just a talking head so that's fine!

>> Any comments on the Zi8 for video blogging?
>> Anyone know of any other pocket video cams with an external mic jack
>> like the Zi8?
>>

> Has a strange issue with the mic jack.  If you pull out the plug while
> shooting, you get a weird high pitched squeal that doesn't go away til
> you cycle the power.  Also I haven't gotten the hang of the VU meters
> and adjusting the incoming audio.  I used the Zi8 on a shoot with a
> mixer feeding into it, and I should have gotten pristine audio according
> to all the meters, and yet my sound was a little overmodulated.

Shouldn't be a problem for me.
So the Zi8 has VU meters?, that's awesome, I was going to check for
that feature.

> One of the things that really gets me with all these pocket cams is that
> there is no headphone jack so you can hear what the camera is getting on
> its mic jack. I used to tell my students, "you wouldn't shoot withouth
> looking through the viewfinder, why record audio without monitoring it?"

I only use the VU meter at present with my external mic, and find no
need to use headphones at all.

>> My current cam is an old Canon Optura60 DV (NTSC), not exactly a
>> stand-out performer, so I figure a good pocket cam today will likely
>> beat it.
>>

> Not really. Your DV cam is 720 x 480

Yeah, but it ultimately gets downsampled to 640x480 (4:3) for
uploading to Youtube.

> while most pocket cams are 640 x
> 480 and an image sensor that probably isn't as good.

The Zi8 is either 1920x1080 or 1280x720, that will allow me to render
in HD 16:9 on Youtube easily without any down-sampling.

> Pocket cams all
> have this image lag thing I was referencing above with fast-moving
> subjects.  The sensor isn't fast enough to keep up with horizontal
> moves.  Test this by pointing the camera out the side window of a moving
> car. You'll see the image shear, making everything look tilted. DV
> cameras don't do that.

Once again, not a problem for me, I don't move the camera much (tripod
95% of the time), and when I do it's just slow motion stuff.

> I'm using pocket cams more and more for my work that doesn't need really
> crisp image quality, and the convenience of having a camera with you at
> all times can't be beat. But editing on that footage is a bear. It's
> compressed so darned far that by the time I've uploaded to Blip, it
> looks like I've shot on a VHS camcorder...  I've still got to get that
> figured out.  ;)

The indoors Zi8 test videos I've seen on Youtube look pretty darn good
to me, better than what I get with my NTSC DV at present for whatever
reason. Although the real test is under my actual conditions, so gotta
buy it to suck'n'see I guess.

I know the Zi8 is going to be far from perfect, but my problem is
really don't see any other option around this price point (say
<$AU300) for a cam of any type with SD card and external mic support.

Thanks for the input.

Dave.