I'd like to bring something up that is often forgotten about under $200
camcorders. These camcorders were originally designed for point and shoot
users.

Having said that the features of the Zi8 are stunning:

# 1080p (1920 × 1080, 30 fps)
# 720p/60 fps (1280 × 720, 60 fps)
# 720p (1280 × 720, 30 fps)
USB 2.0 (high speed), AV out, HDMI, DC in, external microphone jack (support
stereo)

in an under $200 camcorder. I don't expect it to do low light shooting. I don't
have expectation of white balancing. There is no optical zoom. I won't ever use
the digital zoom.

I've owned a Xacti camcorder, never a problem with it. I have a Zi6 and I love
it. But I understand the constrictions these camcorders by imposes on me.

If I shoot hand held I'm gonna get jerky video unless I'm really careful. I
have to be next to the person I'm talking to or no more than 4 feet away.

I have to be creative in finding ways to stabilize the camcorder as I walk;
like having the camcorder on a very small tripod braced in a handbag pocket.
This may or may not work for you.

If I am recording an event or lecture I'm taking my 30x optical zoom JVC Hard
Drive Camcorder and a tripod.

My point is that comparing $1,200 features to a $200 camcorder is inherently
frustrating.

If you need more stuff then you'll have to willing to jump to the next price
class.

Gena
http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com