Absolutely Gina, I just bought the zi8 a few days ago and I have been playing
around with it.  So I do have some serious hands on impressions.

And you are dead on about having to temper your expectations with this
camcorder.  I think most people look at the specs and get blown away and think
they can use it for things that it's really not designed for.  As you stated
it's a point and shoot camera, meant for sharing short clips with minimal
editing.  You are not going to be able to shoot a short film on this thing...(I
mean you could but seriously)

Some things to be aware as there are some issues with this camera.

Yes, it's h.264 .mov file but it's in some funky wrapper and it won't work in
some editing software programs.  I know for sure in Sony Vegas, if you drop it
in the time line as is, you don't have any audio.  For most people just
renaming the mov extension to mp4 works.  For most, for some it doesn't and in
my case, the audio and video get out of sync for 2 seconds, it's an easy fix to
correct it but it is a pain.  There are some other work arounds you can do as
well.

If you are shooting HD, make sure your computer can handle it, mine
does...barely...(going to get a new one soon anyway)

At night indoors with lighting, shooting in HD, it's grainy...but as noted
above, this is a sub 200 point and shoot camera, it is what it is.

HD in natural light outside or inside, is stunning.

Invest in a small handheld tripod and attach it to the bottom of the camera, it
helps with camera shake a lot.

It also has a WVGA setting which is SD at a 848 x 480 which actually looks
pretty good even in low light.

When I first got it and had some of the issues, I was ready to take it back,
but I had to remind myself of a few things, one, most of these sub 200
camcorders have various issues, funky codecs, lag, low light performance,
etc...but it's under 200 bucks, you want a real HD camcorder expect to spend at
least 600-1200 bucks.  After experimenting with it and understanding what it is
and what it's not. I am keeping it.  Most of the time I will be using it to
shoot video of my grandson and the rest of the time little short clips here and
there of things going on around me.  I'll stick with my DVX when I want to make
a film..  ;-)

Heath
http://heathparks.com/blog