You should check out the Sanyo Xactis - some have mic in, very good
image quality and a great pistol-style grip for videoblogging.  Lots
of videobloggers use them.
Not all Xacti models are great, though - so choose carefully.  Any
recommendations from anybody else as to which model is best?

Ernmander was tweeting recently about how his Zi8 was shooting lower
quality video than his Zi6 - even in 720.  Perhaps they're cramming
too much into it, to get 720.  Might be worth checking out the Zi6
instead.

Personally, I think not being able to see yourself while shooting is a
good thing.  It's distracting, and you quickly learn an instinct for
where your face is in the frame and can focus on talking directly to
the lens.

Re: getting VHS quality on Blip.  Blip's flash conversion can be
*very* ropey.   Their players play H264 mp4 files - so create a custom
Show Player with ".m4v playback" turned on in the settings, and you'll
see your file just as you intended.

Rupert

On 23-Oct-09, at 7:30 AM, David Jones wrote:

> 2009/10/23 Bohuš <bo...@xnet.com>
> > Those two features are really compelling, I must admit. I got one
> > hoping that the ease of it would encourage me to do more video
> content
> > for my site without the laborious method I've been using slowing me
> > down. My content is rather static as well, so I just need to find
> away
> > to get the quality where I think it should be, and I'll be a happy
> guy.
>
> My main driver for a new cam is to have SD card support so I can
> shorten my current annoying DV-firewire-upload cycle. So I either go
> with a traditional SD card camcorder, or one of these pocket ones.
> Considering I don't need any form of optical zoom for video blogging,
> regular camcorders seem a bit overkill.
>
> The cheapest SD card camcorder with external mic is the canon FS200 at
> AU$400+ and it has a tiny 1/6th sensor which is reportably horrible in
> low light.
>
> The Zi8 on the other hand has a much bigger 1/2.3 sensor, HD, macro
> and external mic for around $250. Lack of a swivel screen seems the
> only downside. Seems like a no-brainer decision at this point...
>
> > I love that the camera uses swappable cards, and the macro mode is a
> > real welcome feature for product reviews.
>
> I do a heap of product reviews where I rip products apart and shot
> inside them, so this feature is really compelling for me.
>
> > I guess the main change I
> > would want (and this is just personal preference) is if it used
> regular
> > batteries rather than a proprietary power pack. The cards are so
> > voluminous now, I run out of juice way before I run out of shooting
> > space. It would be nice to be able to swap out a couple
> rechargeables
> > when thins get dim.
>
> Yeah, AA's would be nice. But you can always buy a spare battery and a
> separate charger I guess.
>
> Thanks
> Dave.

<*> Your email settings: