I'm not sure to understand. So please, excuse me if I offense you with
trivial details.

If you feel to be up to date via gitk but your last commit is 1 month
old, I fear you're not up to date at all.

As Git is a distributed version control system, you have to keep your
copy of the HISTORY in sync with any other reference. To do this, you
have to run "git pull" or "git fetch". Perhaps could you read:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/viking/index.php?title=Using_git_to_hack_on_and_contribute_to_Viking#Update_from_upstream
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html

Regards,
Guilhem.