On 2007-05-22, Robert Maxwell Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  ":set undolevels=-1" caused my test to run in less than 15 sec, with no
>  other options fiddled with.  Thanks Tim, now I have a work-around!
>
>  Now, does having the undo facility available _necessarily_ mean deleting a
>  large chunk of a file takes so long, or can that be added to the list of
>  desired performance enhancements?

Not in my experience.  In both experiments I reported earlier I
hadn't done anything special with 'undolevels' and checking them now
shows "undolevels=1000".

I repeated the experiment on the Linux system staring vim as

   vim -u NONE two_million_lines

":.,$d" took 13 seconds.  I did notice that the CPU was railed at
100% during that time, so loading of your CPU by other tasks may
have an effect, as might the actual physical memory available to
vim.

":set undolevels=-1" did reduce the time to 10 seconds.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Mobile Broadband Division