On 2007-05-22, Robert Maxwell Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Hmm, interesting.  I've noticed before that the CPU is pegged when I'm
>  deleting, but I don't think my machine's behavior is due to CPU load; the
>  machine has two CPUs, I'm typically the only (serious) user, as "top" has
>  confirmed is the case now, and I get the same behavior whether I'm running
>  another large job or not.  My other large job takes about 1 Gb leaving
>  almost 2 Gb of memory free, so I don't think I'm running out of physical
>  memory, either.
>
>  Given the difference between your results and mine, I finally checked my
>  software versions, which are old:  Red Hat 3.4.6, vim 6.3.82. Unfortunately
>  I don't have permission to update this system, and the administrator hasn't
>  been willing to do so in the past.

It turns out that this Red Hat installation also has vim 6.3.82 in
/usr/bin/vim, so I tried that, too.

   /usr/bin/vim -u NONE two_million_lines

   50%
   :.,$d

2 minutes 30 seconds!  Eureka!  According to the System Monitor CPU
bar color, that was almost all User time, whereas with vim 7.1, it
was a more balanced mix of User and Kernel time.  (Kudos to Bram for
such a performance improvement from vim 6 to 7!)

I'm not allowed to update anything under /usr on this system,
either, so I build the latest and greatest versions of tools under
$HOME/src and put the binaries in $HOME/bin.

Building vim under Linux is really easy.  I do the following.

   mkdir ~/src/Linux/vim-7.1
   cd ~/src/Linux/vim-7.1

Download vim-7.1.tar.bz2 from vim.sf.net.

   tar jxf vim-7.1.tar.bz2
   cd vim71
   ./configure --prefix=$HOME/src/Linux/vim-7.1 --enable-cscope
   make
   make install
   ln -s $HOME/src/Linux/vim-7.1/bin/vim ~/bin/Linux/vim

My PATH includes $HOME/bin/Linux and that directory contains most of
the symbolic links to vim that you will find in
$HOME/src/Linux/vim-7.1/bin; the ones I use.  That is,

   $ cd ~/bin/Linux
   $ ls -l | grep vim
   lrwxrwxrwx  1 garyjohn fw       3 Nov 14  2005 gvim -> vim
   lrwxrwxrwx  1 garyjohn fw       3 Nov 14  2005 gvimdiff -> vim
   lrwxrwxrwx  1 garyjohn fw       3 Sep 23  2005 vi -> vim
   lrwxrwxrwx  1 garyjohn fw       3 Sep 23  2005 view -> vim
   lrwxrwxrwx  1 garyjohn fw      40 May 17 18:45 vim ->
/home/garyjohn/src/Linux/vim-7.1/bin/vim
   lrwxrwxrwx  1 garyjohn fw       3 Sep 23  2005 vimdiff -> vim

That makes it really easy to update and to test different versions
of vim with only a change to one symbolic link.

But that's just a matter of taste.  The point is that however you
choose to install it, it's easy to build and maintain your own vim
installation without having to bother or bother with your system
administrator.

>  I went looking for release notes for vim, but the announcements I found
>  didn't go into detail about what bugs were fixed in which version. Can
>  someone point me in the right direction?

Go to the vim home page, vim.sf.net, click on the link to
Documentation, then "help files online", then "main help file", and
finally, "version7.txt".  Or you can just go that page directly,

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/version7.html

This describes all the changes from version 6 to version 7,
including bug fixes.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Mobile Broadband Division