Hmm, interesting. I've noticed before that the CPU is pegged when I'm deleting, but I don't think my machine's behavior is due to CPU load; the machine has two CPUs, I'm typically the only (serious) user, as "top" has confirmed is the case now, and I get the same behavior whether I'm running another large job or not. My other large job takes about 1 Gb leaving almost 2 Gb of memory free, so I don't think I'm running out of physical memory, either.

Given the difference between your results and mine, I finally checked my software versions, which are old: Red Hat 3.4.6, vim 6.3.82. Unfortunately I don't have permission to update this system, and the administrator hasn't been willing to do so in the past.

I went looking for release notes for vim, but the announcements I found didn't go into detail about what bugs were fixed in which version. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.  --Max