Yes, a lucky catch. I still had plenty of thread on the adjusters and
didn't notice that valve being excessively loose the last time I adjusted
the valves. But perhaps I didn't adjust them as often as I should have.
Still, I don't think I had to turn it in any more than the others the last
time I adjusted it and that couldn't have been too long ago. I had swapped
my dual carbs out for a single carb sometime a few months before it died on
me and I'm sure I adjusted the valves then. I was driving all through the
New York winter, 70 miles a day up to 65 mph. Which explains the transaxle
failure.

There are no caps between the adjusters and the valve stems. The flat area
of the ball contacts the stem directly.

--
Visit the VintagVW archives at http://mail-archive.com/vintagvw@googlegroups.com
---