Dean,

So here is how I remember it.  I have used this method since 1972.

Best of all done with the engine out so you can actually see the geometry well.

First of all this method takes in to account everything that you may have changed on your engine including different cam, lifters, deck heights, copper head gaskets, valve stem caps and stroked or not.

Deck height must already be set properly and matched on both sides of the engine.

First of all lay a straight bar or ruler across the valve stems. If they are not all the same, them send them back to be fixed.

Do not assume that just because one side of the engine gets one measurement that the other side will be exactly the same...don't ask how I know this.<grin>

Install your rocker arms without shims under them. Pick a valve(usually #2 exhaust for me.

Adjust the valve adjustment screws so that you are in about the middle of it's travel or less(look at some old factory rocker arms if you need to so you can get an idea of where the factory started.

Rotate the engine until you have half lift from the cam on #2 exhaust(oh, BTW, if you have a cam with different lift on exhaust and intake then you get to do a lot more measuring).

Insert your adjustable push rod and start adjusting it until the rocker arm is pushing the valve down half way. Unless you have a long travel dial gauge this is going to be mostly by eyeball.

Rotate the egine now so that valve is now fully pushing down the valve stem at max lift for that valve.

Make sure that the valve spring is not binding and has the proper clearance between the valve spring coils(60 thousandths or better?)

If the clearance looks good, then rotate the engine though the entire lift sequence for that valve several times and decide whether it looks right.

Oh, and you might as well add a piec of clay to the top of the lifter adjusting screw andthen install you rocker cover and then rotate thru the sequence again....so you know the adjusting screws are not going to hit the inside of your rocker cover.

If that looks good, then you have your correct pushrod length. Now do the same thing with your locked adjustable pushrod on the #4 exhaust checking for too much clearance at no lift or too much valve spring binding at full cam lift. If it is binding or too loose, then you will have two sets of pushrod lengths to make.

Be aware that you are using the same type of adjustable pushrod similar to what you will actually install in the engine. All pushrod ends are not made the same.

Cheers, dave