Rudy,

I'm in Nassau County (New Hyde Park) and was just speaking with Sonny at
S.M. Motor Sports.  I have been bringing my Porsche 914 to him for years.
He has a lot of experience with Porsche's and VW's, I would recommend him.

What is it that you need done?

Dan

   1. S.M. Motor Sports, Inc. - Bosch Car Service
   Address: 140 Lakeville Rd, New Hyde Park, NY 11040
   2. Phone:(516) 775-8655

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:46 AM, 'Rudolph Dehoogh' via VintagVW - Air
Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List <vintagvw@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> Your good old copy of "How to hot rod vw's" has excellent instructions on
>> this.
>>
>> Although...if you have stock rocker arms and stock pushrods they really
>> should be close.  Oh, stroked engine?
>>
>> Cheers, dave
>>
>> On Mon, 25 May 2015, Daniel Moy wrote:
>>
>>  When I did mine I made an adjustable push rod out of a stock rod.
>>> Basically cut one in half, trim down then cut some threads
>>> and insert threaded rod with two locking nuts.
>>>
>>> Install the head torqued to spec.  Do not install the push rods or push
>>> rod tubes.
>>>
>>> Install your adjustable push rod and your rockers with some spacers to
>>> account for the swivel feet and lash caps (these are a
>>> good idea as the provide a larger surface area for the swivel feet),
>>> check the geometry,  there should be no binding when
>>> cycling the engine.  If there is binding make the push rod shorter.
>>>
>>> Check the adjusted rod in a few locations particularly the other side of
>>> the engine.
>>>
>>> If all is well then you now have a properly sized push rod, now you need
>>> to make eight solid push rods.  I purchased mine from
>>> gene berg back in the day.  Chrome moly, cut them to length and pushed
>>> in the ends.
>>>
>>> It's been a while but I believe those are the steps.
>>>

>>> On May 25, 2015, at 8:39 PM, Dean Johnson < dean.john...@rochester.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>       I re-read the info from the machine shop. He thinks the original
>>> engine builder, Strictly Foreign, didn't set up the
>>>       push rod length at all and that I need to do this. That makes
>>> sense as they are way off. So who has a good
>>>       description of measuring proper pushrod length?
>>>       BTW. RISMachine did the head work.
>>>
>>>       On May 26, 2015 4:13 AM, "Dean Johnson" <
>>> dean.john...@rochester.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>             No, stock rockers.
>>>
>>>             On May 25, 2015 5:32 PM, "Daniel Moy" < sole...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>                   Hi Dean,
>>>
>>> Did you have ratio rocker arms, if so did you size the push rods?
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>>> On May 25, 2015, at 5:21 PM, Dean Johnson < dean.john...@rochester.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>       I am finally installing my rebuilt heads into my 1915 cc engine. I
>>> have the heads on, put in the
>>>       push rods and am test fitting the rocker arms to check geometry.I
>>> put the shims that had been
>>>       installed under the shafts originally and there is not nearly
>>> enough room for the swivel foot
>>>       adjusters. Even screwed all the way out, they nearly touch the
>>> stems. If I use a thicker shim I am
>>>       afraid I won't have enough threads for the rocker arm nuts. ( can
>>> I back the studs out?) will
>>>       standard adjusters give me more adjustment? Where is the best
>>> graphical description of adjusting
>>>       the geometry? I don't have a dial indicator so if there is another

  • [vi... Dean Johnson
    • ... Daniel Moy
      • ... Dean Johnson
        • ... Dean Johnson
          • ... Daniel Moy
            • ... Dave C. Bolen
              • ... Dean Johnson
                • ... Daniel Moy
                • ... Dean Johnson
                • ... 'Rudolph Dehoogh' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
                • ... Dan Moy
                • ... 'Rudolph Dehoogh' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
                • ... Dan Moy
                • ... 'Rudolph Dehoogh' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
                • ... Dave C. Bolen
                • ... Dean Johnson
                • ... Dave C. Bolen
        • ... Daniel Moy