Anna,

Thanks for your help. This is the sort of frustrating inconsistency with iOS
and its various devices that I find most offputting. When I follow the steps
you outlined and leave my wired earpods plugged in, I hear Voiceover just fine
through them as I'm making the recording but none of the Voiceover audio is
picked up in the recording. I can hear that the microphone is on because the
low level hiss is picked up but none of the spoken Voiceover words are
recorded. If I have no earpods connected and try to screen record, I can't hear
any audio so that making the recording is all but impossible as I'm not getting
any audible feedback. When I play that recording within the photos app, I can
just barely hear the Voiceover audio but it certainly isn't loud enough to
submit it to anyone for tech support with a Voiceover issue.

I guess I'm stuck either writing Apple Accessibility, opening a case with
AppleCare, or going to the Apple Store. Any of these options will take
considerable time which I find exceedingly frustrating.

Is anyone else having a problem similar to mine or did I just dream a past
similar thread?

Alan