I've reproduced the problem, but I'm clueless as to what's causing it.
Symptomatically, what's happening is that, when the VGL faker attempts
to load a symbol from libGL using dlsym(), dlsym() returns the
interposed symbol from the VGL faker instead.  No idea why, but it seems
that Steam is somehow interfering with VGL's function dispatching
mechanism.  When I've seen such problems in the past with other
applications, I was able to work around them by setting
VGL_GLLIB=/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1 or VGL_GLLIB=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1, which
forces VirtualGL to load the "real" OpenGL functions directly from the
underlying OpenGL library instead of relying on the dynamic loader to
pick those symbols from the next library in the search order.  That
doesn't work with Steam, however.

I've spent nearly two full days' work looking at this, but I'm afraid
that there isn't much else I can do without help from the community.
With a closed-source application like Steam, it could easily take me 30
or 40 more hours of hacking to determine why it isn't working with
VirtualGL, and even if I can determine exactly what's causing the issue,
sometimes issues like these still aren't solvable.  If someone else is
willing to take the lead on this, then I'd be more than happy to liaise
with them, but for me personally, I can't spare those hours from the
General Fund to donate to this cause, so I'd need the work to be
sponsored financially if I'm going to solve it without community help.

I want to support the gaming market as much as I can, but unfortunately,
the reality is that my business model makes it difficult to do so.  I
get paid generally by corporations or other organizations who are using
VirtualGL internally or selling it as part of their product, and these
customers are primarily focused on CAD and visualization applications.