Peter Prymmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Martin Vorlaender wrote:
> 
> > > Were you seeing the informational message before?
> > 
> > Nope, the only thing I saw was
> > 
> >   Checking to see if you have long double...
> >   You have long double.
> >   Checking to see how big your long doubles are...
> >   Your long doubles are  bytes long.
> > 
> > as it would be if just_mcr_it didn't set the tmp symbol
> > (after having initialized it to "").
> 
> alright.

The fix works.

> > > You might try running `mms test` in separate builds with d_longdbl =
> > > "define" and d_longdbl = "undef" to see if there is a measurable
> > > difference in timing (assuming that there are no tests that probe the
> > > value of $Config{d_longdbl} and run a harder set of tests if 
> > > the value is matches /define/i).
> > 
> > Stand by, please... (oh, if I had all the time I wish I had...)
> 
> Hehe - I know the feeling all too well.

>;-)

There's no noticable difference:

MMK TEST with d_longdbl='define'

Accounting information:
 Buffered I/O count:     80245  Peak working set size:       4204
 Direct I/O count:        4401  Peak virtual size:           8116
 Page faults:            23909  Mounted volumes:                0
 Images activated:          47
 Elapsed CPU time:          0 00:03:44.94
 Connect time:              0 01:09:47.43

MMK TEST with d_longdbl='undef'

Accounting information:
 Buffered I/O count:     80212  Peak working set size:       4280
 Direct I/O count:        4390  Peak virtual size:           8116
 Page faults:            23628  Mounted volumes:                0
 Images activated:          45
 Elapsed CPU time:          0 00:03:45.83
 Connect time:              0 01:10:43.58

> > The problem already is with the call to perl_setup.com
> > (where the dreaded $ SET COMMAND is issued).
> > 
> > When building perl, I circumvented it by modifying perl_setup (I
> > don't use it anyway - my perl command is in the systemwide DCL
> > table). But I'll look into a more concise way to solve the
> > problem (please stand by - see above <sigh>).
> 
> That sounds like a real bug in configure.com.  It is supposed 
> to ask this question if you will not be using a foreign symbol:
...
> $     echo "Since you won't be using a symbol you must choose to put the 
>''packageup'"
> $     echo "verb in a per-process table or in the system wide DCLTABLES (which"
> $     echo "would require write privilege)."

I definitely didn't see that. I'll have a look into it.

cu,
  Martin
-- 
                       | Martin Vorlaender         VMS & WNT programmer
 OpenVMS is today      | work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 what Microsoft wants  |       http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
 Windows NT 8.0 to be! | home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to