On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Martin Vorlaender wrote:

> > Were you seeing the informational message before?
> 
> Nope, the only thing I saw was
> 
>   Checking to see if you have long double...
>   You have long double.
>   Checking to see how big your long doubles are...
>   Your long doubles are  bytes long.
> 
> as it would be if just_mcr_it didn't set the tmp symbol
> (after having initialized it to "").

alright.

> > > > Or should we make long doubles undef in this case?  It 
> > > > doesn't seem like they'd offer any real advantage.
> > > 
> > > As I can't oversee the implications: Dunno.
> > 
> > You might try running `mms test` in separate builds with d_longdbl =
> > "define" and d_longdbl = "undef" to see if there is a measurable
> > difference in timing (assuming that there are no tests that probe the
> > value of $Config{d_longdbl} and run a harder set of tests if 
> > the value is matches /define/i).
> 
> Stand by, please... (oh, if I had all the time I wish I had...)

Hehe - I know the feeling all too well.

> > Perhaps we need to modify it to something like the following:
> > 
> > # install ought not need a source, but it doesn't work if one's not
> > # there. Go figure...
> > install : $(MINIPERL_EXE)
> >         @ @perl_setup.com
> >         If F$TrnLnm("Sys") .nes. "" Then Deass SYS
> >     create/directory perl_root:[lib]
> >     copy $(DBG)perl$(E) perl_root:[000000]
> >     copy $(DBG)perlshr$(E) perl_root:[000000]
> >         $(MINIPERL) installperl
> > 
> > And make suitable changes to installperl so as not to double install
> > perl.exe and perlshr.exe (I suspect it'd be nice to avoid PURGE).
> 
> The problem already is with the call to perl_setup.com
> (where the dreaded $ SET COMMAND is issued).
> 
> When building perl, I circumvented it by modifying perl_setup (I
> don't use it anyway - my perl command is in the systemwide DCL
> table). But I'll look into a more concise way to solve the
> problem (please stand by - see above <sigh>).

That sounds like a real bug in configure.com.  It is supposed to ask this
question if you will not be using a foreign symbol:

$ IF (.NOT.perl_symbol)
$ THEN
$   dflt = "y"
$   IF .NOT.silent
$   THEN
$     echo ""
$     echo "Since you won't be using a symbol you must choose to put the ''packageup'"
$     echo "verb in a per-process table or in the system wide DCLTABLES (which"
$     echo "would require write privilege)."
$   ENDIF
$   rp = "Invoke perl as a per process command verb? [ ''dflt' ] "
$   GOSUB myread
$   IF (.NOT.ans).AND.(ans.NES."")
$   THEN perl_verb = "DCLTABLES"
$   ELSE perl_verb = "PROCESS"
$   ENDIF
$ ENDIF ! (.NOT.perl_symbol)

and then later on it writes out perl_setup.com like so:

$   IF perl_verb .EQS. "PROCESS"
$   THEN
$     WRITE CONFIG "$ set command ''vms_prefix':[000000]''packageup'.CLD"
$   ENDIF

Hence there should not be a "$ set command" line in your perl_setup.com
if you told configure.com that you wanted to use the system wide
DCLTABLES.  Can you please determine how configure.com is messing this up?
I should be able to fold in change requests to an upcoming patch.
Unfortunately I almost never use a perl command verb, whether via SET
COMMAND or by placing it into DCLTABLES.EXE hence I don't have any test
platforms for PERL as verb and could use some help in modifying
configure.com to suit your needs.  Thank you.

Peter Prymmer


Reply via email to