On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <
stefan.ita...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good question, as I understand there is standing wave fields between the
> shells so the volume is indeed filled up electromagnetically couldn't this
> explain what you are after.

The volume in question here is the nuclear volume and not the atomic
volume, where the electrons reside.  In the case of a 0+ to 0+ transition,
my copy of Krane's Introductory Nuclear Physics says that this is an
electric monopole transition (E0), and it can happen when an even-even
nucleus transitions from an excited 0+ state to a 0+ ground state.
Although there is no radiation field for this transition beyond r > R, at r
< R (i.e., inside the nucleus) there is a monopole distribution where the
potential does fluctuate, and this is what is sampled by the electron.  I
take from this that the electron will not feel anything outside of the
nuclear volume since the E0 radiation field cancels out at r > R. (Here
we've started to venture beyond my understanding of the topic.)

Eric