On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <
> stefan.ita...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Good question, as I understand there is standing wave fields between the
>> shells so the volume is indeed filled up electromagnetically couldn't this
>> explain what you are after.
>>

> The volume in question here is the nuclear volume and not the atomic
> volume, where the electrons reside.  In the case of a 0+ to 0+ transition,
> my copy of Krane's Introductory Nuclear Physics says that this is an
> electric monopole transition (E0), and it can happen when an even-even
> nucleus transitions from an excited 0+ state to a 0+ ground state.
> Although there is no radiation field for this transition beyond r > R, at r
> < R (i.e., inside the nucleus) there is a monopole distribution where the
> potential does fluctuate, and this is what is sampled by the electron.  I
> take from this that the electron will not feel anything outside of the
> nuclear volume since the E0 radiation field cancels out at r > R. (Here
> we've started to venture beyond my understanding of the topic.)
>
> Eric

Honestly, I'm pretty weak when it comes to nuclear physics. I have the
tools to understand it but are in practice ignorant. But I have a comment.
I view Mills theory as a steady state theory. If the nucleus is in a
transition state
one could imagine that the nice and clean setup is broken and the
constraints you poses are no longer valid e.g. the fields inside the
nucleus can communicate EM wise with the inner electrons.
/Stefan