From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Fri, May 20, 2016 9:59 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Details of the Thermacore runaway in 1996

H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

2.5 lbs of powered nickel offers a great deal of surface area for heat of
adsorption. Also the nickel powder had been sitting in a vacuum before the
hydrogen gas was added so this would further enhance the adsorption of hydrogen.

Yes. This is what I meant by "critical mass issue." Maybe I should call it
"critical thermal mass."

The large mass may also enhance hydrogen adsorption, as noted. In other words,
100 g of powder might absorb X amount, where 1000 g absorbs more than 10 times
X.