I suppose that Rossi may not be telling the truth as you have concluded, but I
am attempting to give him the benefit of the doubt.   You and I both would
prefer to see a gauge that is more precise than 1000 kg/day but that does
appear to be be in line with an approximately 3% error that is specified.  I
get 1000/36000 * 100=2.777%.  And, if he actually did look at the total average
flow rate throughout the test, it might indeed read 36000 because of the meter
increments.  This certainly seems convenient, but would be possible.

The other issue concerning the question as to whether or not the water
completely filled the gauge may depend upon whether or not the pump was located
ahead of the meter.  A similar problem often occurs in hydraulics when a filter
is placed ahead of the pump in the suction line.  In that case it is possible
to damage the pump by cavitation if the fluid flow is restricted by pressure
loss within the filter.  So, perhaps in this case Rossi has placed a high
pressure loss piping component within the system.

If the water flow gauge is placed beyond the restriction, then that portion of
the piping might be starved of water even if located at the lowest point within
the system.  The output port of the pump would be full of water while the input
is starved.  Could this represent what is being observed?   Whether intended or
not the gauge might loose its accuracy as you are suggesting.

 Dave